Punjabi Dahl - 4-6 persons
Black urad lentil (also known as ma-ki-dal)
Prepare the lentils:
250 gm whole urad lentil
1 bay leaf
Wash the lentils and soak in 1L water for 6 hours or overnight. Drain.
In a pressure cooker mix the lentil and the spices. Add ½L water, cover and bring to boil, then reduce heat and cook for 20-30 minutes till the lentils are cooked. (Alternatively, the lentils can be cooked in a pot, cooking time is much longer, about 1-1:30 hours).
Remove half the lentils and crush them with a spoon (or with a hand beater). Mix the crushed with the whole lentils and spices. Keep aside.
For the spices mixture:
3 tbsp ghee
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp garlic
2 tsp ginger
1 green chili
1 medium onion
3 tbsp tomato purée
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp cumin powder
½ tsp coriander powder
4 tbsp full fat cream
4 tbsp butter
1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt
Let us cook:
1. Peel the garlic, ginger, onion and with the chili finely chop.
2. In a pot heat the ghee, add the cumin seeds and let it splutter.
3. Add the garlic mix and sauté for 5 minutes.
4. Add the tomato purée and spice powders, mix.
5. Add the both the cooked lentils (if you have forgotten to mix them earlier) and 100 ml water, cook on a low heat for about 30 minutes.
6. Now and then check the consistency and add 100 ml water and simmer. The lentils should have the consistency of a runny risotto, quiet thick.
7. At the end, just before serving, add the cream, butter, fenugreek, garam masala and salt. Stir and taste. Adjust with salt. Serve hot with naan or rice.