Rogan Josh for 4-6 persons
Lamb in a red sauce
5 tbsp oil
5 cm cinnamon
6 green cardamoms, lightly crushed
2 bay leaves
1 kg lamb (Gigot or shoulder)
200 g onions
4 garlic cloves
5 cm ginger
1 tbsp each coriander and cumin powder
1 tsp each turmeric, fennel powder and garam masala
1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder (or cayenne pepper/paprika)
2 tbsp tomato puree
200 ml yoghurt
1 tsp salt
Garnish: ½ tsp garam masala and ¼ tsp fennel powder
1. Heat oil in a large pot.
2. Add the whole spices and sauté for a minute till the aroma is released.
3. Add the lamb and brown on all sides. Remove and leave to one side.
4. Add the onions to the same pot and sauté till gold brown.
5. Add the garlic-ginger-paste and mix.
6. Now add the spice powders, tomato puree, yoghurt and salt to the same pot and mix all together. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 1 hour or till the lamb is cooked through. Every now and then stir. If too dry add a little water.
7. Just before serving garnish with garam masala und fennel.